Sunday, February 22, 2009

RAiN experience

by Mpume Khumalo

In December 2008 I was awarded an opportunity by RAiN to do vacation work for 2 weeks.

I have taken away practical experience within an accounting firm and an overall insight into the profession.

I was exposed to all facets of the company, and overall I was impressed by what was happening at RAiN and how people work together.

I had discussions with partners and supervisors who gave guidance on what a career in auditing entails. They shed light with what I would need to succeed with the accounting career I have opted to take.

I got to interact with the chairman, Mr Ian Pierce, whom I think is a superb man with a brilliant mind. His kind words of wisdom, best wishes, and encouragement I carry with me as I face 2009.

He said he saw potential in me, giving me the will to want to persevere and push a bit harder, especially as the hill gets steeper while trying to attain my C.A. qualification. And for that I cannot eloquently find the words to express my gratitude.

I had an opportunity to shadow staff in different hierarchical levels and gained knowledge as to the expertise needed within different arenas within the same company. Being from Durban and a 1st timer in Joburg I was welcomed with warm arms.

Nathalie showered me with care and naturalness, which was astounding. She taught me the importance of good human interaction skills. She is genuinely concerned and her sincerity is overwhelming.

With a company with such great people growth is not limited, not even by the sky.

Above enlightening me about my academic career, RAiN organised a sit-in with a phenomenal motivational speaker, Robin Wheeler, to further shed light to the importance of creative thinking, balance and knowing that, if you want something you can achieve it.

Contradicting customary beliefs, he stated that accountants are actually multifaceted people with an ability to think outside the box, and that as an individual you can diversify into anything if you have the right state of mind.

RAiN also arranged for an artist to come through who owns a design company, to help bring out our creative side by making us design T-shirts. It was a fantastic exercise and an overall great experience.

Rain is a company that cares. They housed me in a fantastic BnB, but from Rain I will take away so much more:

  • The importance of inter-employee relations and teamwork

  • The efficiency received when all the employees in an organisation work together towards a common goal in an organisation.

The work experience I gained was splendid, in a work environment that inspired me to try and aim high.

I aspire to take my place among the stars and for this I say to RAiN...

THANK YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment